Local Information

Our Town

Incorporated in 1779, Pittston began as a thriving river community, specializing in boats, ice, and lumber. Nestled on the eastern bank of the historic Kennebec River, it maintains its rural charm while its 2,875 residents enjoy close proximity to the services and schools of the greater Augusta area.

Totaling over 33 square miles of beautiful, mid-coast Maine, Pittston is located is 7 miles south of Maine’s capital, Augusta, and 15 miles north of the coastal town of Wiscasset. It is bordered by the towns of Randolph and Chelsea to the north, Whitefield to the east, and Alna and Dresden to the south. We invite you to visit, live, and do business in our town.

Local Features and Services


Maine School Administrative District #11

MSAD 11 services Gardiner, Pittston, Randolph, and West Gardiner.

  • Address: 150 Highland Ave, Gardiner
  • Phone: (207) 582-5346

There are three public schools for Pittston students:

(Back to Top)


Gardner Public Library

Location & Contact Information

(Back to Top)


Pittston Fair

Held annually in June and billed as “Maine’s friendliest fair,” the Pittston Fair is a small, family-oriented country fair that boasts a small midway, animal pulling events, children’s games, bicycle raffles, a horse show, and many other events. Additional details may be found here.

(Back to Top)


Colburn School

Located on Arnold Road (off Route 27), the Colburn School (c. 1815) is a one-story, one room brick building with an attached frame ell, and the last remaining one-room schoolhouse in Pittston. The town had begun organizing school wards and hiring schoolmasters in 1785 and by 1803 when the town of Gardiner was created from Pittston’s western half, there were no fewer than nineteen school houses in the community. In 1815, the town determined the boundaries of ten school districts, each district electing its own committee. In that same year, Samuel Oakman sold the small plot of land on which the Colburn School stands to the Middle South School District, as his contribution to the expense of construction. The school got its name from the area of Pittston first known as Colburn Town, on the east bank of the Kennebec River.

In 1932, the town appropriated funds for a playground at the Colburn School. That year, the school’s wooden benches were replaced with seats originally used by Boothbay Harbor schools. In 1959, the town sold the Colburn School, land and building, along with all other town school district buildings, to School Administrative District #11. The Colburn School saw continued use through 1964, with ownership eventually returning to the town in 1973.

Twelve years later, the local government sold the property to the Pittston Literary and Historical Society (PHLS) for one dollar. The Society held its monthly business meetings at the school, as well as annual fund-raising events held in conjunction with the Arnold Expedition Historical Society. In March 2025 at annual town meeting, the town body voted to accept ownership once again, while the PLHS continues to work with the Town on the building’s maintenance and restoration.

One-room schoolhouses were familiar objects in the rural landscape of 19th and early 20th century Maine. It was the traditional system in which towns subdivided themselves into school districts, each of which contained a school house to serve its particular locale. Although the district school system became a target for 19th century school reformers, its effect was to produce a vast number and variety of buildings: more than 4,000 by the turn-of-the-20th century. Consolidation efforts have taken a dramatic toll on the number of these schools that survive. In 1960, for example, only 226 schools in Maine were being held in one-room buildings.

(Back to Top)


Colburn House State Historic Site

Also located on Arnold Road (off Route 27), this timber framed Georgian-era house was built in 1765 by early Pittston colonist Major Reuben Colburn. More information may be found here.

(Back to Top)


Pittston Cemeteries

By Maine statute, the Town of Pittston is responsible for basic maintenance for all United States Veteran graves located in the Town. The Administrative Assistant coordinates with volunteers who maintain these Veteran gravesites, providing them with flags to display between Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day.

All cemeteries in Town are privately owned, whether through associations or on historic family properties.

Note: Known cemeteries are listed below (number of Veteran graves listed in paratheses).

  • Riverside & Riverside Annex (89)
  • Coss Hill (60)
  • North Pittston (46)
  • Goodspeed (25)
  • Maple Grove (37)
  • Old East Pittston (16)
  • Blair (2)
  • Moody (7)
  • Stevens (4)
  • Palmer (12)
  • King (4)
  • Lapham (6)
  • LaPlain (3)
  • Cooper-Harris (3)
  • A-Tomb (2)
  • Blodgett (3)
  • Cooper (2)
  • Day (2)
  • Fuller (3)
  • Gould Tomb (2)
  • Hunt (2)
  • Knights Tomb (2)
  • Moores (2)
  • Oakman (7)

(Back to Top)


Boys & Girls Club of Kennebec Valley

The Sandra M. Prescott Clubhouse is located at 14 Pray Street in Gardiner and offers a variety of youth programs. Additional information may be found here here.

(Back to Top)


Johnson Hall Performing Arts Center

This former theater on Water Street in Gardiner is host to many musical and other performing arts. Additional information may be found here.

(Back to Top)


First Congregational Church of Pittston

This historic church building is located at 21 Arnold Road. Built in 1836, it is an architecturally distinctive blend of Federal, Greek Revival, and Gothic Revival architecture, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Additional information may be found here.

(Back to Top)


Baker’s Smelt Camps

Smelt fishing, boat slips, and RV park on the Kennebec River\ 95 Smithtown Road\ Phone: (207) 582-4257 / Facebook

(Back to Top)


Pittston Prowlers Snowmobile Club

Promotes snowmobiling and trail maintenance in Pittston. Additional information may be found on Facebook.

(Back to Top)


Riverwalk Property

NOTE: The Riverwalk is still closed to the public while its future use as a public space is being determined.

This town-owned property is located on Old Cedar Grove Road, beside and behind Coss Hill Cemetery, and includes frontage on the Kennebec River. 

The Riverwalk Committee is developing plans for recreational uses for this property, should the Town decide to retain it for public use.

(Back to Top)

Made with by TownCloud © Copyright 2026. All rights reserved.